Where is Python in the scheme of things?

Virgil Dupras hardcoded.software at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 17:14:19 EDT 2006

On Oct 4, 4:21 pm, "gord" <gord at no_spaming.com> wrote:
> As a complete novice in the study of Python, I am asking myself where this
> language is superior or better suited than others. For example, all I see in
> the tutorials are lots of examples of list processing, arithmetic
> calculations - all in a DOS-like environment.
>
> What is particularly disappointing is the absence of a Windows IDE,
> components and an event driven paradigm. How does Python stand relative to
> the big 3, namely Visual C++, Visual Basic and Delphi? I realize that these
> programming packages are quite expensive now while Python is free (at least
> for the package I am using - ActivePython).
>
> Please discuss where Python shines.
> Gord

Delphi, one of the big 3? Since Borland abandoned it, it can only go
downward (How do you call delphi 8, 2005 and 2006, if not *downwards*?)
Java is much more of a big 3 than Delphi.

Use Python for a little while (let's say 1000 lines of code), and if
you're not convinced after that, go back to the big 3, happily telling
yourself you're not missing anything...

"What's with this weird python community anyway, speaking of code
'elegance' and 'readability'? There is no such thing!"