can't open chm files all of a sudden

Keith Perkins keith at keithperkins.net
Wed Oct 4 18:08:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:34:43 +0000, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:55:11 GMT, John Salerno
> <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>> the files in a day or two). All I've installed/uninstalled since then
>> was HTML Kit. I'm not on a network, it's just me. I redownloaded the chm
>> file for Python24 and it does the same thing.
>>
> 	Try some other help files... I'd be likely to suspect it was HTML
> Kit that overlayed some DLL in the help system...
>
> (Yeesh -- Just looked at the HTML Kit home page... In the words of Clara
> Peller "Where's the beef?"...  Lots of glitzy public relations copy, but
> no details on exactly what it does, what tools it competes with, etc.)

I used HTMLKit when I still used Windows, and liked it a lot.  It's really
a great HTML/PHP, etc. editor, if you can get past the front page.
That being said (if I remember correctly) hh.exe is a part of htmlkit, and
may have been the the cause of your problem by making itself the default
chm reader. (Check your settings under files to see what you have as the
default reader now. (and sorry, forgot how to do that, it's been almost
two years since I've had to fiddle with Windows, so I'm not sure of the
exact place to check for it.))
Keith