Python license question

Martitza martitzam at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:23:31 EDT 2006

Hi.  I work for a small company (actually in process of forming)
interested in embedding or extending python as part of our commercial
non-open-source product.  We have legal counsel, but are interested in
the spirit as well as the letter of the law.  Not much seems to have
been written about the python license since version 2, so pointers to
more recent discussions or contacts are appreciated.  If this is not
the right place to ask these questions, I would welcome better ideas.

We've read the license and "layman's language" at
http://www.python.org/psf/license/ and are need help reconciling the
two.

First Observation
The entire license -- such as produced by license() -- includes a lot
of information which appears to be historical or anecdotal, not the
kind of language our lawyers usually see in licensing agreements.
Lawyers claim they don't like "extra" language.  You be the judge.  :)

First Question
Is all of that information really a required part of the license we
pass on to our customers or is the "PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE
VERSION 2" portion sufficient?

Second Observation
Referring to sections 2 and 3 of the PSF License Version 2... Our
non-open-source product will be a derived work, either by extending or
embedding the python interpreter.  According to section 3, we will
briefly summarize these modifications to the python interpreter as
these relate to our product.  Good.

Section 2 says that we (as Licensee of the original python) have to
include without our modified python a copy of the license.  The License
explicitly states in section 1 that it is between the PSF and the end
user.  At the moment, we are the end user.  But when we sell our
software as a derived work, our customer becomes the end user.  So our
customers are entering into a direct agreement with PSF.  This
indemnifies the PSF (sections 4,5,6,7) -- also good.

But there is a side effect of section 2 that would seem to give our
customers many rights ("to reproduce, analyze, test, perform and/or
display publicly, prepare derivative works, distribute...") to the
derived work we created.

We would have a problem with our customers distributing our derivative
work or preparing derivative works of our derivative work.  We could of
course apply our own restrictive license to things which are truly
ours, but we cannot do this to the work derived from python because
that would conflict with section 2 of the python license.

Second Question
Can we we prevent our commercial customers from freely redistributing
or modifying our derived version of python?  The answer seems like "no"
from the License itself but "yes" from the layman's language.  Of
course, our lawyers only look at the license.

Thank you for your time.  Our goal is to understand and be good
corporate citizens.  We believe python would be a great benefit to our
customers, and we are looking for a viable business model that allows
that.

Martitza