__init__ style questions

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Oct 2 07:47:19 EDT 2006

"Will McGugan" <will at willmcgugan.com> wrote:

> Duncan Booth wrote:
>
>> No it isn't Pythonic. Why not just require 3 values and move the
>> responsibility onto the caller to pass them correctly? They can still
>> use an iterator if they want:
>>
>>     Vector3D(a, b, c)
>>     Vector3D(*some_iter)
>
> I kind of liked the ability to partially use iterators. It would be
> convenient for reading in from a file for example
>
> f = file( "model.txt" )
> v1 = Vector3D( f )
> v2 = Vector3D( f )
> v3 = Vector3D( f )
>
> Which you couldnt do with a tuple, because the * syntac would attempt
> to read the entire file (I think).

Yes, it would, although since the implication is that your class expected
numbers and the file iterator returns strings I'm not sure how much it
matters: you are still going to have to write more code than in your
example above. e.g.

   v1 = Vector3D(float(n) for n in itertools.islice(f, 3))

or with my variant:

   v1 = Vector3D(*(float(n) for n in itertools.islice(f, 3)))

I think my main objection to your code was that it introduced too many ways
for the constructor to do unexpected things silently. e.g. your suggestion
Vector3D("abc"), or Vector3D((1,2,3,4)) and I don't like errors going
uncaught. That's why I think it is better to pass in exactly the arguments
you need and convert them at the point where you can tell what the ambigous
construction actually meant. I have no objection though to e.g. a class
factory method which does all of this:

@classmethod
def fromStringSequence(cls, iter):
    return cls(*(float(n) for n in itertools.islice(iter, 3)))

because that still makes you decide at the point of call whether you want:

   v1 = Vector3D(1, 2, 3)

or
   v1 = Vector3D.fromStringSequence(f)