print time comparison: IDLE versus terminal on ultra 20

MrJean1 MrJean1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 18:15:16 EDT 2006

On my Ultra 20 box, the test program takes 0.00039982 secs in a
terminal window and 0.236839 secs in IDLE, i.e. about 600x slower.
This is ActivePython 2.4.3 for Solaris 10 on a 2+ GHz Opteron.

A partial explanation for the difference in run time between terminal
and IDLE is that IDLE uses thru a Tkinter/Tcl/Tk window which
postprocesses the output, like colorizing, etc.

 /Jean Brouwers

PS) On MacOS X 10.3.9 and a 400 MHz G4 the terminal time is 0.172556
secs and IDLE takes between 4.04731 and 4.87804 secs (depending on the
options selected) or 24-28x longer .  This is Python 2.4.3, IDLE 1.1.3
and Tcl/Tk 8.4.13 as distributed with MacOS X.