OT Request

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 6 03:41:49 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:40:23 +0100, "Matthew Warren"
> <Matthew.Warren at Digica.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>

>>This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your computer.
>>
>>You should not copy the email, use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person.
>>Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email may be personal to the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Digica.
>>It is the responsibility of the recipient to check this email for the presence of viruses. Digica accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
>>

> 	Pardon, but is there any possibility you can disable this rather
> long block? I'm presuming you are accessing via the mailing list, but
> that mailing list is gatewayed to a Usenet news group (and unless you've
> managed to embed an X-noarchive header in email, Google Groups is going
> to have the message available in perpetuity). There is no single
> "intended recipient" -- the messages are being sent to anyone in the
> world interested in reading comp.lang.python, so all this overhead is
> meaningless.
>
> 	Or, at least, somehow fit a Usenet/email conventional signature
> marker "-- " (dash, dash, space, newline) before it... Most decent
> clients are designed not to quote material below such a marker.

Sadly such garbage is usually appended at the insistence of
pointy-haired corporate typess, many of them lawyers who need to justify
their existence by helping companies to "avoid liability".

Since these declarations usually don't contain any definition of the
phrase "intended recipient" we are presumably left to read the monds of
the originators before deciding whether to notify the sender immediately
and delete the email from your computer".

For some reason the mail administrators of the same companies often
appear to believe that Microsoft Exchange defines email standards for
the Internet, and they don't even know what a signature separator is.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119