The format of filename

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Oct 24 11:48:59 EDT 2006

Tim Chase wrote:

> Windows seems to be (occasionally) doing the translation as /F
> mentions:

as leif pointed out, there's no translation.

> C:\temp> REM try the same filename convention from dos prompt
> C:\temp> type subdir/test.txt
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
> C:\temp> REM try with quotes, just in case...
> C:\temp> type "subdir/test.txt"
> The syntax of the command is incorrect.

"type" is built into the command shell.  it's the command shell that
refuses to deal with forward slashes, not the underlying API:s.

> Windows seems to doing the translation inconsistently (I know
> that comes as a shock...)

it's a documented inconsistency, which is preserved mostly for
historical reasons (the shell syntax hasn't changed much since
the CP/M days)

</F>