error handling in user input: is this natural or just laborious

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Oct 8 06:38:06 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <sXzVg.9551$vJ2.7097 at newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, James Stroud
> wrote:
>

>>Patently. Tabs should be reserved for tables, for which tabs were named.
>>If they were meant to be used for indenting, they would have been
>>named "indenters".

Or possibly "inds", in a similarly abbreviative spirit.

> Really? I thought they were for tabulators
> <http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/tabulator.html>.

Well, let's ignore the fact that this was probably a tongue-in-cheek reply.

Firstly, the article you quote shows clearly that Hollerith invented the
tabulator in the late 19th century. C L Scholes was granted the first
typewriter paten in 1868, and Remington started manufacture in 1873. So
tabs were already used (to produce tables) by the time the tabulator
arrived on the scene.

Secondly the tabulator was originally simply a device for counting the
occurrences of the various values possible for a field (you may know it
was invented to assist in the processing of the US census), and when
printing was later added the output to the printer wasn't sequential
anyway, so no "tab character" was required: the positions of report
fields would be hard-programmed into the patch panel.

ObPython: PEP 8 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/) was
originally an essay by Guido in which he listed his own personal
stylistic preferences. Naturally his opinions were taken seriously
because he has proved to be a capable language designer, and when the
PEP scheme was introduced his essay (originally published under the
title "A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds") was
adopted more or less unchanged. It has since been revised, but still
refers to the original. Ultimately a conformance with PEP 8 can be taken
as an indication that the author has reached a certain stylistic maturity.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119