Python/Tkinter crash.

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Wed Oct 4 08:27:56 EDT 2006

 "James Stroud" <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get the following:
> >
> > hvr at LINUXBOXMicrocorp:~/Controller/lib> python display.py
> > UpdateStringProc should not be invoked for type font
> > Aborted
> >
> > and I am back at the bash prompt - this is most frustrating, as there is no
> > friendly traceback to help me guess where its coming from.
> >
> > And what is worse, the script runs for a varying time before it simply exits
> > like this.
> >
> > What can I do to dig deeper to try to find a clue? - I don't even know if
its
> > Python, Tkinter or Linux...
> >
> > Some background:
> >
> > The application is a prototype gui for a controller of an injection moulding
> > machine.
> > It has two rows of five buttons across the top, and a canvas containing
various
> > objects over the rest of the screen.
> > Extensive use is made of configure to change the text of the buttons, as
well as
> > their command bindings,
> > to keep "the state of the system" current - its quite a hack at this time,
as I
> > am still experimenting with getting the interface intuitive.
> > On the canvas, there are multiple instances of a Meter class to show things
like
> > temperatures and pressures,
> > as well as a schematic representation of the machine, created out of
polygons
> > and lines.
> > The schematic, as well as the Meters, are crudely animated by deleting and
> > redrawing the objects repetitively with slightly different parameters in
> > response to button presses. This is done by starting different threads to
> > implement the various motions, which repetitively call kill and draw methods
in
> > the main app, after which they (the threads) commit seppoku by returning.
> >
> > Everything seems to work fine. - there is a thread that runs to move the
meter
> > values around continuously, and this has been stable for some time now, and
> > can get the various "machine" parts to move around the screen by pushing the
> > buttons.
> > The trouble occurs when I put the "machine" into Auto mode, simulating the
> > various motions in a loop, - it runs for anything from a few tens to a few
> > hundreds of cycles before handing in its dinner pail like this.
> >
> > Any Ideas on what to do next to find the culprit?
> >
> > - Hendrik
> >

> Minimal source code to reproduce this error would help tremendously.

I was hoping for some advice as to how to choose the broken stuff out of the
approximately 1400 lines of code - what do I keep in, and what do I leave out -
If I knew in which area the thing was cracking up, or if I could form a theory
of why it is breaking, I could choose better, and maybe reproduce it - as it is,
to produce the strace that I submitted took most of the morning, and I am
frankly no further along the road...

- Hendrik