scared about refrences...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 31 14:34:33 EST 2006

SpreadTooThin wrote:
[...]
> I don't understand why python would insist that everything must be a
> refrence...

We can tell that :)

> It is of course helpful sometime but other times its not...  and now
> I'm sorta out
> of luck...

There are very good reasons for Python's namespace model. Sure it's
different from some other languages, but it's actually been some
people's preferred semantics for a very long time now (the
recently-deceased Ralph Griswold, may he rest in peace, chose a very
similar model for Icon.

> I don't know how to make this structure immutable...  Pickle it?  Seems
> very
> inefficient to me...
> Every time I pass a variable now I will worry that it will be changed
> by the function...
> I haven't worried about things like this since the very early days of
> BASIC....
> I don't know.. maybe I have more to learn.

You do. Firstly, learn to leave your paranoia outside your programming
life. If a function or method makes undocumented changes to its mutable
parameters then it needs changing (or its documentation does).

Adequate testing should reveal such nonsenses before release.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119