Socket module bug on OpenVMS

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 22 14:12:07 EDT 2006

Jean-François Piéronne wrote:

> Which Python version, OpenVMS version, IP stack and stack version?

OpenVMS 7.3-2, Python 2.3.5, no idea about IP stack version.

> If you think this is a Python on OpenVMS problem, send me a small
> reproduced anf I will take a look.

I don't have any small case lying around (I can't reproduce it myself
because I lack access to an openVMS machine) but I think you should
be able to reproduce it by slightly altering one of the socket examples
that comes with Python. Just add the MSG_WAITALL to the recv() call:

	something = sock.recv(somesize, socket.MSG_WAITALL)

and you should see it crash with a socket exception.

Mail me offline if you still need running example code (that I think
would expose the problem).

> If you think it's a OpenVMS problem and if you can provide a simple
> reproducer and have a support contract I suggest you call HP, but I
> suspect that if it's not documented the reply would be not (yet?) supported.

I don't have anything to do with HP... the person that reported the
problem to me has, however. He's already aware of the problem.

> May be a workaround is to not use MSG_WAITALL (currently) on OpenVMS and
> in next version I will not defined MSG_WAITALL in the socket module on
> OpenVMS.

How can I detect that I'm running on OpenVMS?

--Irmen