How can I correct an error in an old post?

Blair P. Houghton blair.houghton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:32:14 EDT 2006

barakad at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi.
> I was searching for some information regarding a problem and found an
> interesting post that includes an answer to the problem; thought the
> post is very helpful it is based on a wrong assumption and thus the
> solution it suggests is incorrect. It took me some time to understand
> that the suggested solution is wrong and to find the correct solution
> and I wish to add my findings to the post, to prevent others from
> taking the wrong path.
> When I tried to replay to the post I received a reject message stating
> that it is impossible to replay to the topic since it is old and was
> closed by a manager.
> The question is how can I add this correction?
> Thanks.

Start a new thread and include the old post with your
corrections.

Yes, this means the erroneous post is still out there, and
does not link directly to yours, but that's the fault of people
who "close" threads, for they are among the stupidest
people on the net.

But if, as you did, someone else searches for the information,
the old post will come up in the search results, and yours will
too, because it contains the old post.  So anyone who bothers
to look at both will figure out what happened.

--Blair