SPE for 2.5?

SPE - Stani's Python Editor spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 20:34:49 EDT 2006

Hi Fuzzy,

I think you refer to pyxides (http://pyxides.stani.be). Pyxides turned
out to be more like an exchange between different IDE developpers,
rather than a common project. There are a lot of reasons for that:
different GUI toolkits, geographical distances rendering physical
sprints almost impossible (although necessary for such task), no
financial resources, nobody with the time or ambition to lead such a
project, ... So no immediate result for the end users, although for the
developers there was some limited exchange. In a world with furious
discussions about KDE or Gnome, Windows, Linux or Mac, deb or rpm, vim
or emacs, not to mention Tkinkter, pyGTK, wxPython, pyKDE, pyCocoa, ...
this might not come as a surprise. Appearantly, despite the fact that
python IDE's are only a relative very small segment, did not matter so
much. It seems also that programmers are addicted to threads about the
best IDE. Maybe we as developers should not take that joy away, but
provide some healthy competition instead. I guess collaboration is only
possible within one gui toolkit (this is not meant technically of
course), as gui toolkits are not so much about technique but more about
philosophy.

That said, a new version of SPE 0.8.3.a is going to be released soon.
Yes, open source projects do hibernate, which by some people is wrongly
perceived as ..., but anyway SPE is alive and will always be unless I
say differently.

Best whishes,

Stani
--
http://pythonide.stani.be
--

PS2 This was not written with FireFox2, so please forgive any spelling
mistakes ;-)