builtin regular expressions?

Mirco Wahab wahab at chemie.uni-halle.de
Sun Oct 1 06:10:44 EDT 2006

Thus spoke Steve Holden (on 2006-09-30 23:58):
> Mirco Wahab wrote:
>> Thus spoke MRAB (on 2006-09-30 20:54):
>>>One of the differences between the Python way and the Perl way is that
>>>the Perl way has a side-effect: ...
>> I fail to see the benefit of a re-object, I consider these to
>> be just there because regexes aren't in the core language.
>>
> Fine. Just because you fail to see the benefit, however, that doesn't
> mean there isn't one. Maybe we just aren't explaining it in terms you
> can appreciate?

OK, maybe my communication style is bad or
somehow 'Perl newsgroup-hardened' ;-)

Of course, I'd like to really understand
these things (as they were intended), probably
modifying my look onto programming concepts then.

Therefore, I'd like to have a usable and understandable
example of Regex-object juggling, that shows clearly
what its real benefit is (or gives an idea of - ).

Afterwards, I'll surely try to deconstruct
your  assumptions hidden there in order to
*get a better understanding*  for myself ;-)

Regards and thanks

Mirco