Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Oct 3 21:42:16 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
> > Sure. But what's the similarity to the fiasco part of the BitKeeper fiasco?
>
> depends on what you consider being the cause of that fiasco.  I'm not
> sure it was quite as simple as people are trying to make it sound...

I remember there being some urgency to move away from BitKeeper
because some counter (like a 16-bit file version number that got
incremented on every check-in of the file, or something like that) was
about to overflow, and only the non-free version allocated more bits
for the counter.  That was why Git had to be thrown together in just a
few weeks.