wxPython installation interferes with win32ui/win32gui

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Sat Oct 14 08:47:45 EDT 2006

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> At Friday 13/10/2006 19:33, robert wrote:
>
>> > c:\Python23\pythonw.exe.manifest
>> > c:\Python23python.exe.manifest
>> >

>> I found out that in fact when I move away these 2 files to a backup
>> location after a wx installation, things go well again.
>>
>> What at all do this .manifest files do ?
>> And why do win32ui apps freak out, when these are present?
>> Have post the content of pythonw.exe.manifest below.
>> Are wx apps affected in a bad way, if I remove those files for ever?
>
> This manifest file tells Windows how to apply visual styles to the
> application. It's a nightmare to make it work reliably across Windows
> versions. Just delete the .manifeest file and forget about it...

Thanks, in fact in the wx Installer there is also an option to suppress
the installation of this files - but the name of this checkbox sounds so
harmless, that I'd never expect it to have such serious consequences.
Why is this checkbox ON in the installer by default when it is not
necessary for successful use of wx?

And I'd still like to understand the reason why win32ui apps at all can
do such strange things like magic automatic pressing of buttons, when
this .manifest  is active. (This caused some serious trouble here the
first time, because this win32 tool did some real business transactions
as OK-buttons were pressed automatically repeatedly until I could
shutdown the app in the taskmanager..)

-robert