Python/Tkinter crash.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Oct 5 03:25:21 EDT 2006

Eric Brunel wrote:

> AFAIK, Tkinter is not thread safe. Using some kind of lock to serialize
> the calls from different threads may seem to work (I never tested it
> actually), but the safest way I found to use threads with Tkinter was to
> call it only from the thread where the main loop executes.

the Tkinter binding contains some code that attempts to deal with re-
entrant calls, but I don't know/remember to what extent it's actually
supposed to work (in other words, if the observed problems are bugs or
just limitations).

(maybe Martin's memory is better?)

anyway, I usually play it safe and make sure to use a single thread to
deal with the UI.

</F>