Dive Into Java?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Wed Oct 11 17:38:58 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> You don't seem to understand what is happening here. The fact that
> string literals in java exist has nothing to do with an implicit
> type casting as above example shows.

Whoops. "10", arg and _arg /are/ integers, right?

> C++ was new, nobody forced them to keep pointers around.

For compatibility reasons to C it seems quite necessary.

[interface compatibility to String]
> That isn't possible with python, too.

No? Mh, perhaps it's too late for my brain tonight ;)

> Python has those clunky rules as well as C++ - or don't you write
> character literals like
>
> "abcd"
>
> in C++ as well? Where exactly is that clunky?

IMHO, that only for String class

String spam = "eggs";

works (in Java).

> But choices let you make more errors - which was my point from the
> beginning: java is a limited language, and I don't like it too
> much. But it makes it hard to do things wrong. C++ makes it hard
> to make them right.

I agree. *If* one is an absolute beginner with programming. C++ may
have too many weird options in places where Java has one possible
solution.

Regards,

Björn

--