Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Oct 7 21:13:54 EDT 2006

    Giovanni> And, in turn, this was in the context of hiring 6-10 people as
    Giovanni> the only acceptable minimum to maintain and admin a bug
    Giovanni> tracker.

Who said anything about "hiring"?  I don't believe anyone expects any of the
6-10 people to work full-time (well, except for you it would appear).  I
help moderate a number of Python-related mailing lists hosted on
mail.python.org.  I also do a microscopic amount of bug triage for a couple
smallish modules in the standard distribution, have pitched in a bit to help
with the website (though don't anymore) and used to help a little bit with
administration of the various python.org machines.  I certainly have never
spent anything approaching full-time for any of these tasks, not even when
measured over short time periods.  A few minutes here.  An hour there.  Many
people contribute way more time to the overall endeavor than I do, and I
applaud them for their dedication.  I haven't ever been paid nor have I ever
expected to be paid.  It's a spare time activity, a way to contribute to
Python even when I can't do more.

At times I have come and gone as well, mostly depending on the constraints
of work and family obligations and my instantaneous enthusiasm for the
project.  If I'd rather read a book, work on my car or watch TV, that's ok.
I don't feel guilty for the idle time I don't spend working on Python.  I
know there are many other people there to cover for what little bit of work
I am not doing.  I suspect that is how most people approach any of the
myriad tasks involved with getting Python out the door and keeping it
current.  I think that was also the intent of the "6-10 people" phrase.  If
you have lots of people available to pitch in, no one person's absence is a
show stopper.

Skip