Using Python scripts in Windows Explorer

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 11:20:06 EDT 2006

I'd like to be able to drag a file onto a Python script in Windows
Explorer, or send that file to the script via the Send To context-menu
option, so I can then process that file via sys.argc.

Unfortunately, I can't drag items onto the Python script, because
Windows doesn't recognise that the script is executable (unless I
double-click it, upon which it runs as usual, without the command line
parameter of course) and won't set it as a drop target. And it won't
even appear in the Send To menu after the usual steps are taken to get
it there.

I then tried to wrap it in a batch file, but encounter a problem, where
that batch file is able to execute the Python file if I double-click
the batch file, but if I drag a file onto it it says it can no longer
find the Python script.

Are there any simple and workable solutions for this sort of thing?

--
Ben Sizer