strange append

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 2 01:15:02 EDT 2006

E.Nurminski wrote:
> Hello to all good people
>
> I am new to the great Py so am quite puzzled by the following code
>
> ---------------
>
> res = []
> x = [ 1, 1 ]
> for i in xrange(0,5):
> 	res.append(x)
> 	x[1] = x[1] + 1
> 	print "x = ", x
> 	print "res = ", res
>
> ---------------
>
> Looks like it puts smth like reference to 'x' into 'res' list, instead of
> value. But if I want a value should I use a different method or what ?
>
> Evgeni
>
> P.S. Could not easily find the issue in the manual/tutorial can you point
> me out to smth relevant ?

Yes the same reference gets added every time.

res = []
x = [1, 1]
for i in xrange(0,5):
   newx = x[:]                 # copy the x
   res.append(newx)            # append the copy
   newx[1] += 1                # shorthand
   print "newx = %s" % newx    # basic formatting
   print "res = %s" % res      # should be what you expect

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570