How to send E-mail without an external SMTP server ?

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 05:04:19 EDT 2006

Leo Kislov wrote:

>> Do I have to setup a smtp server on my localhost ?
>>

> You need to use login method
> <http://docs.python.org/lib/SMTP-objects.html>. And by the way, the
> subject of your message is very confusing, you are posting log where
> you're sending email using external server.

Thanks.

Yes, I want to find a way to send email without an external smtp server.

According to Rob's reply, I thought this could be implemented as
described in
the example code of "SMTP Example" on
"http://docs.python.org/lib/SMTP-example.html".  So I tried the code,
but failed.

Actually I was writing a script that can submit jobs automatically on a
remote server. I should not submit the jobs all at once, because this
will take up all resources of the server. I just want a specified number
of jobs to be running at one time. If one jobs is over, the script
should submit another job. I run the script with nohup, then I logout.
The script will take care of all jobs.

But I have to check the status of the script manually, which is very
inefficient. So I want to be informed automatically by E-mail when all
jobs are done.

It's not safe if I have to use login method explicitly by which I have
to put my username and password in the script. I have also tried the
Unix command 'mail', but without success, either. I could use 'mail' to
send an E-mail to the user on the server, but I couldn't send an E-mail
to an external E-mail server. I realized that it may because the port 25
outgoing connections are blocked, so I gave up. I will have to login
periodically to check the status of the jobs:-(

Anyway, thank you, Rob, and thank you, Leo.

xiaojf