Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 6 09:20:07 EDT 2006

    Paul> How often should a tracker freeze anyway?  People with no
    Paul> technical knowledge at all run BBS systems that almost never
    Paul> freeze.  Is a tracker somehow more failure-prone?  It's just a
    Paul> special purpose BBS, I'd have thought.

And when those BBS systems get hacked they can be down for extended periods
of time.  I have an old Porsche and participate in the discussion forums at
914club.com.  There is a team of admins to moderate the discussion forums,
but just one guy to do the technical work.  The site is powered by some
common forum software package (really a modern day bbs).  It gets hacked
from time-to-time.  When that happens, we're all left with the DTs while the
board gets put back together.

As for this question from Giovanni:

    Giovanni> Are bug-tracker configuration issues so critical that having
    Giovanni> to wait 48-72hrs to have them fixed is absolutely unacceptable
    Giovanni> for Python development?

Yes, I think that would put a crimp in things.  The downtimes we see for the
SourceForge tracker tend to be of much shorter duration than that (typically
a few hours) and cause usually minor problems when they occur.  For the
tracker to be down for 2-3 days would make the developers temporarily blind
to all outstanding bug reports and patches during that time and prevent
non-developers from submitting new bugs, patches and comments.  Those people
might well forget about their desired submission altogether and not return
to submit them once the tracker was back up.

Skip