conditional computation

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Fri Oct 27 11:33:10 EDT 2006

robert wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> robert wrote:

>>> the complex-key-expr is written only once in the code
>>
>> How do you get something back from the cache then ?
>>
>>> expensive-calc-expr is  written only once in code
>>
>> Same problem here...  I fail to understand how you intend to use this
>> "cache".
>
> the first time, "self.setdefault(k, f())" executes the lambda ("f()"),
(snip)
Robert, that's not the point. I do have enough Python knowledge to
understand this (totally trivial) code !-)

What I don't understand is how this code is supposed to save you from
having to actually write both complex-key-expr and
expensive-calc-expression more than once. You need them both each time
you access the cache - whether the result of expensive-calc-expression
has already been cached or not.

Now this seems so obvious that I guess I failed to understand some point
in your original spec (emphasis is mine):
"""
I want to use a computation cache scheme like

    o = CACHECOMPUTE  complex-key-expr  expensive-calc-expr

frequently and elegantly *without writing complex-key-expr or
expensive-calc-expr twice*.
"""

--
bruno desthuilliers