Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 3 07:55:51 EDT 2006

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > "Giovanni Bajo" <noway at sorry.com> writes:
> >>I just read this mail by Brett Cannon:
> >>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-October/069139.html
> >>where the "PSF infrastracture committee", after weeks of evaluation,
> >>recommends using a non open source tracker (called JIRA - never
> >>heard before of course) for Python itself.
> >>
> >>Does this smell "Bitkeeper fiasco" to anyone else than me?
> >
> > Sounds crazy, what's wrong with bugzilla?
>
> Much the same as is wrong with the existing SourceForge system, I'd say.

The existing SourceForge system runs on non-free software, which is a
significant differentiator from Bugzilla.

I would be greatly dismayed to see the PSF choosing to move critical
Python development data into a non-free system. I hope this
recommendation from the "PSF infrastructure committee" is rejected.

--
 \           "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their |
  `\          home."  -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of |