win32com problem

cfriedalek at gmail.com cfriedalek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 21:15:39 EDT 2006

I'm interacting with a third party application using python and com.
However having problems and don't know what to look at next to resolve
the issue.

The app. can be driven by VBS. The following VBS code works:

Set Synergy = CreateObject("synergy.Synergy")
Synergy.OpenProject "D:/temp/project.mpi"
Synergy.Project.OpenItemByName "test_bar_3d_6l_pc1", "Study"
Set Tet = Synergy.StudyDoc.GetFirstTet()
While Not Tet Is Nothing
  Str = Tet.ConvertToString() + " "
  Set Tet = Synergy.StudyDoc.GetNextTet(Tet)
  MsgBox Str
WEnd

This prints "TE1" "TE2" etc

The "same" code in python returns <COMObject <unknown>> with each call
to the GetNextTet method.

import win32com.client
from win32com.client import Dispatch
Synergy = win32com.client.Dispatch("synergy.Synergy")
Synergy.OpenProject("D:/temp/project.mpi")
Synergy.Project.OpenItemByName("test_bar_3d_6l_pc1", "Study")
tet = Synergy.StudyDoc.GetFirstTet
while tet:
    print str(tet)
    tet = Synergy.StudyDoc.GetNextTet(tet)

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong, or how to investigate whether there
is a bug in win32com or in the third party apps com implementation.