question about True values

J. Clifford Dyer webmaster at cacradicalgrace.org
Sat Oct 28 16:46:34 EDT 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> J. Clifford Dyer wrote:
>
>>  >>> (1 > 0) < 1
>> False
>>  >>> 1 > 0 < 1
>> True
>>  >>> 1 > (0 < 1)
>> False
>>  >>> 10 > (0 < 1)
>> True
>
> I hope you know why this works the way it does.
>
> Georg

Yes, I do understand why it works.  I couldn't have crafted it if I
didn't, but my point is that the reason why it works is not explainable
if you believe that you are dealing with booleans.  It's only
explainable if you recognize that you are actually dealing with
integers, and specifically, 1 and 0.  So the something/nothing dichotomy
combined with an understanding of what the comparison operation REALLY
does (yield a 1 or a 0) helps you understand where your result came
from, while thinking in terms of true/false will mislead you.