NumPy 1.0 release

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 02:37:18 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> George Sakkis wrote:
> > ImportError:
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
> > undefined symbol: zheevd_
> >
> > Googling for "undefined symbol: zheevd_" returned no hits, at which
> > point I gave up for now; hopefully someone will have a suggestion on
> > what to do next (other than dumping RH's mess for Ubuntu, which I'd
> > gladly do if it was up to me).
>
> zheevd is a LAPACK routine. Check for that symbol in the LAPACK library that you
> are linking. If it's not there, then your LAPACK library is broken. ATLAS
> provides some optimized LAPACK routines, and some distributions of ATLAS provide
> LAPACK libraries with *only* those routines:
>
>    http://scipy.org/FAQ#head-0f5cda66c4d28a8c65206cc2b4213e18f1c22547

Thanks Robert, mystery solved; the source was there but I had changed
the Makefile to not build for complex variables after reading about
RH's problem, and then forgot to put it back. At last, I can now import
numpy! I don't have any use for complex variables, so I hope the broken
tests don't imply anything for the reliability of the library on my
system.

Thanks again,
George