Funky file contents when os.rename or os.remove are interrupted

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Oct 11 12:40:42 EDT 2006

Russell Warren wrote:

> One last non-python question... a few things I read seemed to vaguely
> indicate that the journaling feature of NTFS is an extension/option.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/ntfs-preinstall.mspx

   NTFS is a journaling file system. NTFS writes a log of changes being
   made, which offers significant benefit in cases where a system loses
   power, experiences an unexpected reset, or crashes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

   A file system journal is used in order to guarantee the integrity of
   the file system itself (but not of each individual file).  Systems
   using NTFS are known to have improved reliability compared to FAT file
   systems.

</F>