curious paramstyle qmark behavior

BartlebyScrivener rpdooling at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 09:57:48 EDT 2006

Jon Clements wrote:

> However, only you know what
> you really want to do, so it's up to you to evaluate which RDMS to go
> for!

That assumes a lot :) My needs are simple. I'm exploring. My only real
db is a collection of 5,000 quotations, book passages etc. Flat file
would probably even do it. But I like to learn. Converted to sqlite
with no problem. But I'll try Postgres, just for fun. I guess I was
drawn to MySQL only because it's part of a WordPress site/blog I
operate, and the conversion tools from Access to MySQL were a snap.

> In terms of data entry; if you're able to extend the idea of GUI a
> little, why not use web forms?

This never occurred to me. Good idea! I'll explore.

> if your load on the data-entry/browsing side isn't too heavy, you can
> use the 'development server' instead of installing a full-blown server
> such as Apache (I'm not sure if IIS is supported).

What's IIS?

> Users need not have any specific software (well, apart from a web
> browser), you can change the back-end any time, have authentication,
> the database and users can be remote to the actual "GUI" etc....
>
> Just some thoughts you can do with as you wish.

Thank you, I shall explore.

Rick