Debugging/Networking ?s.

Michael B. Trausch mike$#at^&nospam!%trauschus
Thu Oct 26 12:02:12 EDT 2006

I am having a little bit of trouble figuring out what to do about a
problem that I am having with the program I am working with.

I had it working yesterday, and up through till this morning.  I hadn't
thought about putting it in version control until now, so whatever it
was I did, I can't just hit a revert button... that'll teach me.  :-)

Anyway, it opens a socket, and is capable of fetching the first output
from it and displaying it in the TextCtrl that it is using.  It also
says that it is successfully sending what is typed, be it an alias for
something else, or a straight command that needs to be sent.  However,
after the initial text is received, it says that it doesn't receive anymore.

I would believe that, if I could duplicate it with a known working
program (such as telnet)... but, I can't.  The server that I am working
with is working perfectly fine -- e.g., it is replying just as it should
be.  However, it is also not detecting any problem with the socket,
either.  :-/

The code is at http://fd0man.theunixplace.org/Tmud.tar.gz and if someone
could give me some insight as to what I might be doing wrong in
PlayWindow.py, method CheckAndProcessGameOutput, that would be
wonderfully appreciated.  I am out of ideas, myself.  It never comes up
with error, and never says that the socket is ready, either (using
select.select()).

Beware that the code isn't likely to be very pretty -- I am not an
experienced programmer.  Even some of the ideas I got from the ANSI
thread are likely to look not so pretty, because I probably mangled a
lot of that, too, though, it *was* working.  The only thing that
irritates me is that the changes I have been working on today have all
been in the SendOut method in PlayWindow.py, which should have no
bearing on CheckAndProcessGameOutput, so I don't know what really caused
it to stop working.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

	-- Mike