How to send E-mail without an external SMTP server ?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 16 15:30:11 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-16, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:04:19 +0800, "fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com"
><fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>

>> Yes, I want to find a way to send email without an external smtp server.
>>
> 	You're going to have to hit an SMTPd somewhere along
> the route... Many moons ago it was easy to connect directly to
> the recipient's mail server (and even easier to grab any
> server one could find, to send mail to any address).

But those were smtp servers, so I don't see you the OP could
have accomplished his goal unless you set the wayback machine
to pre-Internet days and use the uucp transport mechanism.

> In closing down these "open relays" to block spammers, many
> SMTPd's are now configured to accept "outgoing" mail only from
> hosts that are part of the local network, and to accept
> "incoming" mail only if the recipient is a member of the local
> network. Hence, most client programs are now configured to
> connect to the local ISP server to relay mail.

That local ISP server is also an smtp server.  I haven't heard
of anybody accepting vail via uucp for at least 10 years.  I'm
not saying that such hosts don't exist, but that they're pretty
darned rare.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Today, THREE WINOS
                                  at               from DETROIT sold me a