Help: Python2.3 & Python2.4 on RHEL4 x86_64

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 24 13:24:25 EDT 2006

Christopher Taylor schrieb:
>> Ah, I see. The reason is pretty simple: Makefile.pre.in has
>>
>> LIBDIR=         $(exec_prefix)/lib
>>
>> so it seems that LIBDIR isn't configurable.
>
> So you would agree that this is a bug?

I personally think this is a bug in AMD64-Linux. Libraries should
be stored in /usr/lib, binaries in /usr/bin, etc. If they need
simultaneous installation of 32-bit binaries for compatibility,
they should store them in architecture-specific directories.

> I'll post on Python-Dev for
> further advice.  I'd like to fix this for the x86_64 community.

The x86_64 community has been using Python for a while, and
apparently has solved this problem already. You should try
to find out how they did it.

Regards,
Martin