OT: Sarcasm and irony

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 11 01:31:56 EDT 2006

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:

> Sarcasm is a form of irony.  Irony is when what is meant is
> different from the obvious literal meaning of the statement.

Irony need not have anything to do with the meaning and intent of the
speaker. Indeed, irony can occur when there is no communication at
all; an ironic outcome does not require anyone to have said or
communicated anything.

> Like Alanis Morisette said about the song "Isn't it Ironic": What's
> ironic about the song is that it doesn't actually contain any irony.

What source do you have for Morissette saying that? I've seen many
people saying it *about* her song, but nothing from her that isn't
just repeating what others have said.

--
 \         "I was arrested today for scalping low numbers at the deli. |
  `\                  Sold a number 3 for 28 bucks."  -- Steven Wright |