pylab package dependencies

Lou Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Oct 17 16:22:44 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.654.1161110013.11739.python-list at python.org>,
 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lou Pecora wrote:
>
> > The only problem I'm having is getting ipython to run.  Not installed in
> > /usr/local/bin (although all other IPython files look to be installed in
> > /Library/Framewaorks/python..blah/site-packages).  I'm still searching
> > the web sites for answers.
>
> Create a file ~/.pydistutils.cfg with the following section (unindented):
>
>    [install]
>    install-scripts=/usr/local/bin
>
> Now install ipython again, and the ipython script should be installed to
> /usr/local/bin/. You may need to be root to do so.
>
> For more information on that configuration file:
>
>    http://docs.python.org/inst/config-syntax.html

I assume you are telling me to install ipython from a tar distribution
using setup etc.  I originally installed it from the SciPy Super Pack
which apparently put in the site packages, but neglected the script in
/usr/local/bin.  Sound right?

On the ipython web site for MacOS X it says to do the following after
the install using python setup.py etc. in the extracted directories,

python setup.py install_scripts --install-dir=/usr/local/bin

Is that what you are suggesting with the pydistutils.cfg ?

Sorry, if I'm dense on this, but I only partially grok the command line
install. Thanks for any help.

-- Lou Pecora  (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.