Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 4 16:31:48 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie schrieb:
> Out of interest, here are some figures:
>
>   KDE: 12983 bugs and 11656 wishes
>   GNOME: 23624 reports
>   Python: 7159 bugs, 3843 patches, 477 feature requests
>
> The Python figures are totals, whereas I can't be sure whether the KDE
> and GNOME figures merely refer to the open issues. Nevertheless, Python
> isn't going to be pushing the envelope.

Right: machine power isn't really an issue (although the snappiness
of response does contribute to usability: the various installations
showed noticable differences in response time).

The issue of scalability is really how a large number of reports
can be managed. How can a submitter easily find out whether a report
for some issue already exists, and how can a maintainer easily find
out what needs most attention (where each developer might apply
her own priority system)? For a small number of issues, you can
scan through a list. If the list contains more than 20 entries,
scanning through it becomes tedious.

Regards,
Martin