Bizzare lst length problem

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Oct 9 07:01:55 EDT 2006

Ben wrote:
> Ah... my list is a string. That explains the len() results, but not why
> it is a string in the dirst place.
>
> I have a dictionary containing a number of instances of the following
> class as values:
>
> class panel:
>     mops =[]

This one is a class attribute - it's shared between all instances of panel.

>     def __init__(self,number,level,location,mops,matrix):
>          self.number=number
>          self.level=level
>          self.location=location
>          self.mops=mops

And here, you create an instance attribute with the same name, that will
shadow the class attribute.

>          self.matrix=matrix
>

> abve mops is a list, yet when I access it it is a string...

the class attribute 'mops' is a list. The instance attribute 'mops' is
whatever you passed when instanciating panel.

--
bruno desthuilliers