operator overloading + - / * = etc...

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Oct 7 18:21:55 EDT 2006

>> With the caveat of the "=" mentioned in the subject-line (being
>> different from "==")...I haven't found any way to override
>> assignment in the general case.
>
> Why would you want to do that?

For the same reason one would use property() to create
getter/setter functions for a particular variable--to intercept
attempts to set a variable.  I'm not sure there's an elegant way
to do it other than creating a custom container object with a
getter/setter using property().

My purpose was just to note that the "=" assignment operator is
distinct from the remainder of the operators that you correctly
identified can be overridden with their associated __[operator]__
method.

-tkc