Install from source on a x86_64 machine

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 09:58:13 EDT 2006

Christopher Taylor wrote:

> ok, so where does that leave me.  I'm not even sure which files
> *should* be put in /lib64 vs lib.

I'd imagine that anything which is a .so file (plus the modules which
depend on it, I suppose) should be put in the appropriate library
directory. Thus, 32-bit libraries should go into
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages and 64-bit libraries should go into
/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages. That said, I can see things that
I've installed via distutils (and various make; make install
combinations) that are in the "wrong" directory.

> architecture dependent files should be put.  <<<

Generally, the install process should respect the prefix (ie. /usr in
your case, /usr/local in the default case) and then choose the
appropriate library directories below that (ie. /usr/lib, /usr/lib64 in
your case), but I can't find anything obvious in the README about
specifying architecture-dependent install directories.

> Has anyone else mentioned this before?

I'd be interested to hear more about this as well.

Paul