NumPy 1.0 release

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 01:53:53 EDT 2006

George Sakkis wrote:
> ImportError:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
> undefined symbol: zheevd_
>
> Googling for "undefined symbol: zheevd_" returned no hits, at which
> point I gave up for now; hopefully someone will have a suggestion on
> what to do next (other than dumping RH's mess for Ubuntu, which I'd
> gladly do if it was up to me).

zheevd is a LAPACK routine. Check for that symbol in the LAPACK library that you
are linking. If it's not there, then your LAPACK library is broken. ATLAS
provides some optimized LAPACK routines, and some distributions of ATLAS provide
LAPACK libraries with *only* those routines:

   http://scipy.org/FAQ#head-0f5cda66c4d28a8c65206cc2b4213e18f1c22547

> By the way, it would be great if numpy's mailing list was mirrored to a
> google group; sourceforge and gmane are just horrible to use.

Sorry, I don't think that Google Groups does mirroring like GMane does. While we
will be migrating the numpy-discussion list away from Sourceforge, it will be to
the scipy.org server, not Google Groups.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco