What value should be passed to make a function use the default argument value?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 13 05:08:01 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-12, Magnus Lycka <lycka at carmen.se> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> Well maybe he didn't intend that, but how is the reader of the
>> documentation to know that? The reader can only go by how
>> things are documented. If those are not entirely consistent
>> with the intend of the programmer, that is not the readers
>> fault.
>
> I don't think I ever assumed that it was right to call functions
> with keyword arguments if they weren't defined with keyword
> parameters,

I'm not sure I follow here. AFAICS, you can't define keyword
parameters. You can give default values to parameters but
this is orthogonal to calling a function with keywords.

If we somehow want to seperate parameters in those that
can be used with a keyword and those that don't it has
to be something different than providing a default value
to that parameter.

--
Antoon Pardon