commands.getstatusoutput result is not command line exit value!!!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:57:52 EDT 2006

I'm sorry, this may seem dense to you but I have to ask. What on earth
are you talking about?

Why is it shifted 8 bits to the left? Why is there bitshifting at all?
Why doesn't commands give the same exit value as os.system() and the
unix cli?

When you choose to exit a program you give it a return value to exit
with, so why would this change, I exit with the number 1 then expect
that number to be the exit code, right? Where do these higher numbers
come into the equation and why?

Please assume that I am not a mind reader and require explanation before
I can understand.

Perhaps you aren't a mind reader either and don't know why the writers
of the commands lib chose to do this insanity either? It seems the
os.system() guys did the right thing, I wonder why
commands.getstatusoutput doesn't...

Having just tested it manually with a shell script returning 2,
commands.getstatusoutput did give the exit code as 512, so it does seem
to generically shift the exit code 8 bits to the left or multiply it by
256 for those of us who need some more straight talking...

ugg, perhaps it's time to stop using this thing and use a better lib module.

any explanations welcome...

-h

Hari Sekhon