right curly quote and unicode

Leo Kislov leo.kislov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:00:21 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, TiNo <tinodb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I know where the problem lies. The character in the actual file path is
> u+00B4 (Acute accent) and in the Itunes library it is u+2019 (a right curly
> quote). Somehow Itunes manages to make these two the same...?
>
> As it is the only file that gave me trouble, I changed the accent in the
> file to an apostrophe and re-imported it in Itunes. But I would like to hear
> if there is a solution for this problem?

I remember once I imported a russian mp3 violating tagging standard by
encoding song name in windows-1251 encoding into itunes and itunes
converted the name without even asking me into standard compliant
utf-8. So there is some magic going on. In your case u+00B4 is a
compatibility character from unicode.org point of view and they
discourage usage of such characters. Perhaps itunes is eager to make
u+00B4 character history as soon as possible. Googling for "itunes
replaces acute with quote" reveals that char u+00B4 is not alone. Read
the first hit. I'm afraid you will have to reverse engeneer what
itunes is doing to some characters.

  -- Leo.