Talks at PyCon that Teach How to Be Better Programmers

jeff at taupro.com jeff at taupro.com
Tue Oct 31 00:48:42 EST 2006

Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> "Robert Brewer" <fumanchu at amor.org> writes:
>> 2. Dynamic languages naturally more lang-maven oriented?
>>    See http://osteele.com/archives/2004/11/ides
>
> Not sure what you mean by this, even after reading that (interesting)
> article.  These days Haskell (which has static types) seems to be all
> the rage with language geeks.

dynamic type != dynamic language

Those are two orthogonal concepts.  A dynamic language means introspection,
the ability to modify itself at runtime, such as by creating new classes.

Dynamic typing refers to whether a particular variable can change its type at
runtime.

Another dimension is whether typing is "strong" or "weak".  Python is strongly
typed in it does not implicitly change types for you, such as Perl's coercing
numeric strings into actual integers to complete an addition operation.

I led a discussion on these last month to a local user group.  The slides are
at:

 http://www.dfwuug.org/wiki/Main/PresentationSlides

It was a vigorous discussion among programmers of several languages. ;-)

-Jeff