Python's CRT licensing on Windows <-- FUD

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Wed Oct 25 12:40:22 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

I am not intentionally posting FUD.

>    "As long as you're using a standard Python build, you don't need to
>    buy VC7 to [legally redistribute the C runtime]. The python.org team
>    use a properly licensed VC7 to build Python, which turns Python into
>    "licensee software" and you into a "distributor" doing "further
>    distribution" of Python to end users (with your own stuff added on
>    top, of course).

That makes sence. One does not need a VC7 license to sell (aka
"distribute") software from a store either.

>    And further distribution is perfectly okay, as long
>    as you only ship the MS components together with proper "licensee
>    software" (=Python), and that all parties respect the relevant
>    portions of the original EULA

Is further "distribution" okay if it is only accompanied by the python
runtime DLL (as is the case when using Py2Exe) or should the entire
python-2.4.4.msi from python.org be "distributed"?

>    "(If in doubt, consult a real lawyer. If you do, make sure that he/she
>    understands the various levels here -- i.e. that "you" in the MS
>    EULA applies to the Python developers, not yourself)."

I certainly don't understand the EULA, and thus I cannot make sure that
I lawyer understands it either. But I can certainly find a lawyer that
charges $$$$ an hour and pretends to understand it. I am sure buying a
copy of VC7 is a lot cheaper.