Need array help

Marion Long Jr mlongjr at verizon.net
Fri Oct 6 13:25:56 EDT 2006

I am switching from microsoft visual basic programming to python
programming. In microsoft
visual basic you can Dim a variable so that you can add variables by
changing the number
on the end of the variable as in the following example;

Dim acct(100)

numoffiles=4
data=10
ct=1
while ct <> numoffiles
acctfile(ct) = data
ct= ct + 1
data= data + ct
Wend
The results are;
acctfile(1)=10
acctfile(2)=12
acctfile(3)=15

And you can compare the values of the new variables;
if acctfile(1) > acctfile(2) then print "yes"
if acctfile(2) > acctfile(1) then print "yes"

when I try to create acctfile(ct) = data I get the following error;
***can't assign to function call. Then it gives the program line of the
problem
Here is the progam in python;

numoffiles=4
data=10
ct=1

while ct != numoffiles:
    acctfile(ct) =data
    ct += 1
    data= data + ct
    print acctfile(ct)

Does anybody know how this is done in Python?