Tracing the execution of scripts?

Michael B. Trausch mike$#at^&nospam!%trauschus
Thu Oct 26 21:52:42 EDT 2006

Alright, I seem to be at a loss for what I am looking for, and I am not
even really all that sure if it is possible or not.  I found the 'pdb'
debugger, but I was wondering if there was something that would trace or
log the order of line execution for a multi-module Python program.  I am
having a little bit of a problem tracking down a problem that I
mentioned earlier
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/9c759fc888b365be),
and I am hoping that maybe seeing how the statements are executed will
shed some light on the entire thing for me.

The debugger isn't working, though, because I have a timer set up to
fire off every 20ms to check for incoming network traffic from the
server, and that timer firing off makes stepping through with the
debugger seemingly impossible to get any useful data.

Basically, is there something that will log every line of Python code
executed, in its order of execution, to a text file so that I can see
what is (or isn't) happening that I am expecting?  I know that the
server is sending and receiving properly, because I can connect to it
with a regular telnet client and it works -- but at the same time,
everything I can think of to check my program's functionality checks out
just fine (e.g., it reports that it is successfully sending what I am
typing to the server, and it says that the server is not sending
anything back to be read from the socket).

If it makes any difference, I am using wxWidgets' Python bindings for
the UI code (and the timer), and using Python's socket library for the
network stuff.

	-- Mike