People's names (was Re: sqlite3 error)

Paul Rubin http
Sun Oct 8 06:21:00 EDT 2006

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> > There would also need to be a flag field to indicate the canonical
> > ordering
> > for writing out the full name: e.g. family-name-first, given-names-first.
> > Do we need something else for the Vietnamese case?
>
> You'd think some standards body would have worked on this, wouldn't
> you. I couldn't think of a Google search string that would lead to
> such information, though. Maybe other, more determined, readers can do
> better.

Librarians have to deal with this all the time, I expect.  I believe
library catalogs often use two separate fields, one for some
representation of the name intended for lexicographic sorting, and
another for display to the user.  There's an exercise in Knuth vol 3
showing a bunch of examples, using both author names and book titles.