Secure Python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Nov 16 11:29:46 EST 2006

> A significant issue is the architecture of the server itself. Is a
> per-process solution acceptable or must everything happen in the same
> process with lots of threads (or microthreads)? Of course, there are
> games using lots of microthreads, although I'm not sure whether they
> also use lots of processes, too, and it has been asserted that having
> lots of operating system threads or processes is just too resource
> intensive, but I think it's especially worth considering the nature of
> the platform you're using and what it offers.

AFAIK most engines today are only single-threaded. A big grief for all those
dual-core owners out there.

And having thousands of players is common - spawning a process for each of
them certainly too resource-consuming.

AFAIK stackless python was initially financially supported by a
game-company. So I guess that shows us pretty much what games (at least)
are after: low-profile in-process threads, fine-grained controllable.

Diez