Caution newbie question: python window to stay open ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 22 02:37:43 EST 2006

mkengel wrote:

> Problem: Python window closes immediately after executing a *.py file
> (e.g. containing a "print..." command.
> What do I have to do to keep it open to see the results ?

Simple scripts that print to a console, or read from it, works best if
you run them from a standard Command Prompt window.

If you just click on a Python script in the explorer, Windows will
create a temporary command window, and remove it when the program is
done.  This is standard Windows behaviour; to get around this in a
general way, you need to write GUI-oriented Python programs (using e.g.
Tkinter or wxPython), and run them using the "pythonw.exe" runtime.

For simpler scripts, you can also add

     raw_input("Press return to close this window...")

to the end of the script.

For tips on running Python programs from the command prompt, this page
might also be helpful:

   http://effbot.org/pyfaq/how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

</F>